Thursday, September 2, 2010

10.5 hours of sleep and still a zombie

Where is my brain? Why is it always floating away? It's like it has its own out-of-body experiences.

The meeting two nights ago of our little preservation group had my head spinning. I had trouble following the discussion and trying to listen to three conversations at once when people talked amongst themselves.  All in all, I felt like I missed something. You know the feeling, like everyone's in on an inside joke you know nothing about. I find that note-taking helps my focus a lot; without it, things are hopeless. I am forever distracted by someone's face or clothes; if I don't look at them and instead look at my pad of paper, I can somewhat keep up. But talking to anyone in person with no notebook can be a waste of time because it goes in one ear and right out the other, like a bee zipping through a small room and exiting through a window.

That same day, the electrician-dude was trying to explain to me my three or four options on setting the motion detector lights. The options were too much for me to keep track of: light goes on half strength dusk till dawn and full power when it senses motion; light is off except for when it senses motion; light can be set to one minute, three minutes or 20 minutes after motion is detected. I think there were a few more choices. I kept asking, "what did you say? repeat that, if you would" to no avail; he'd repeat it and I'd be so distracted by how stupid he must think I was that I couldn't retain anything. I tried looking at the light's instruction booklet, but the blob that was supposed to be a light looked like a navy bean to me. It made no sense. Finally, I just told him, "Set it to whatever you would set it to at your house."

No comments: