Thursday, October 26, 2017


The key to living dangerously

So last night, I dropped my keys while walking my dog.

In the dark.

While listening to a podcast about an unsolved murder.

The keychain had my flashlight and pepper spray on it, so I was forced to retrace my route unarmed and in the pitch black.

While listening to a podcast about an unsolved murder. Did I mention that?

My hound insisted on going forward, not backward, so I ended up carrying him. I recalled the spot where I last shined the light while my pup took a cigar break. No keys.

We returned to the house and, since the lost keychain had my house key on it, we couldn't get inside. Fortunately, I keep a spare. But it's hidden in a spot that had just been painted two hours previously. This led me to do the splits, balanced on one toe, to pluck the spare out of its hidey-hole. No problem.

Inside, I fetched another flashlight and headed out again to continue the search.

Voila. The keys appeared within a yard of where I realized they went missing. Yes! Victory.

Since the mishap cheated my furry friend out of his full walk, we went for another.

This time, nothing dropped (except his cigars).




No comments: